How to write a good, optimized and effective blog? We all have had this question some or the other time during our initial days of blogging and there are many beginners who still spend considerable time researching on ways to write the perfect blog.
We all want our articles to rank in search engines no matter how stiff the competition be out there!
Writing a good blog that would make it through the Google rankings to the top, takes thoughts and research, which in turn requires patience and time. There have been instances with good writers who have spent days on finalizing one piece of blog!
But before that, you need to be sure about your niche. When your niche is decided, you may think of related topics which you would want to pen down. Also, you must possess very in-depth and thorough knowledge of a topic to write a meaningful blog on it mostly by yourself and with minimal references.
Sometime back, I wrote an article on how you can attract more traffic/visitors to read your blogs. You may click here to take a look as the same article has few points that would give you an overview of how a good blog should look like to its readers.
So, let me be very precise on the exact points you need to keep in mind to write down a successful and interesting blog.
Please note that this is just a general tutorial to guide you with the process of writing a blog but won’t assure you a rank in search engines because after writing a blog, it takes lot of SEO optimizations to get your article stand out. Also, end of the day it’s your creativity how you well you are capable of presenting your thoughts to your readers.
- Think of and decide the topic you want to write a blog on.
- Gather information, make rough notes and arrange them in points to frame a structure of your blog and analyze how it would look like to your readers.
- Think of a short, suitable, related and catchy title that would attract attention and tempt any reader to scroll down and read. Only once you have finalized your title, proceed to the next step.
- Go to https://trends.google.com/trends/ and check how well the words used in your title have performed globally in keyword searches. If your words don’t seem to be keeping up well with Google Trends’s search analysis, think of synonyms of the same words from your title and re-check for their performance in Google Trends.
- Once your title is finalized with high scoring keywords(may not be possible at all times), go ahead and write your sub-heading that describes shortly what this article would be all about. Again, try using results from Google Trends to finalize words in your sub-heading as well.
- Post that, you should not directly jump to the topic. Instead, put up a related high quality image describing your subject. That keeps your visitors’ interests intact as no one wants to get lost into a never-ending lengthy sea of words and hence good images always keep the eyes pleased.
- Next, write the purpose of you writing this blog. That is very important because it would give your readers a clarity as to why they should know about this topic. Keep it short yet appealing.
- Start with describing your topic.
- If that’s a tutorial, it’s always recommended to use bullet points. That allows your readers to follow a sequence of instructions/guidelines in a step-wise and neat manner.
- If you are writing about any general topic, please ensure not to keep your paragraphs lengthy. Keep your sentences to the point and short but maintaining the essence of the message you want to deliver through it.
- Use active voice while writing. Example: Use “I clicked this image while walking on the street” rather than “This image was clicked by me while walking “. Use more “I”s and “You”s.”
- Try to give examples that relate to day to day life. That keeps your readers engaged as they could connect your topic to reality.
- Use more transition words like, “so”, “but”, “however”, “because” etc. That helps your readers to relate well to different parts the message you tried to convey.
- Keep using high quality images in between wherever you feel relevant in context to your paragraphs or sentences. You may go to https://www.pexels.com/ to search for free images available to use without risking any copyright infringements.
- Use backlinks, i.e while writing your blog if you feel there’s a particular section about which you have already written a blog on and don’t want to re-write it in the present draft, just put a link to that existing article so that readers could click and refer to it for better understanding and come back to the present blog to continue reading. This would also bring in traffic to the other blog hence you would be double-benefited.
- In the end, conclude your blog. Your readers should be made felt that they utilized their time reading your article which gave them a summarized message to carry back. Your conclusion should be short in a max of 2-3 sentences telling the reader why your article was needed to be read and what inference he/she could take back from it.
- Keep your comments on for any blog/article you write. For a blogger, it’s always required that he/she allows readers to express their views which in turn improves engagement to your post.
- Lastly, the most important of all is to maintain a decent ad-to-content ratio. Your readers must not feel that your sole purpose to write this article was to earn money through displaying a ton of ads rather than to provide information.
- Once you are done writing down your post, please re-read it. While reading in a flow, you may just come across one of your sentences where it may strike you that it could be improved/re-framed in a better way.
Double check for grammatical errors and of course, look out for your words how they have performed in Google Trends and replace them with appropriate synonyms.
As already stated initially, writing a good blog takes time and requires patience. Once you have built in the habit of following the above steps religiously, trust me you would soon get to see a massive difference in your search rankings with very minimal SEO optimizations.
Click here to know how you can effectively optimize your blogs to rank in Google’s search results.